Inside: Learn how to make an easy ghost painting this Halloween using the squeegee art method. Keep reading, below you’ll see our video tutorial and learn all the steps you need to create a cute ghost craft painting this Halloween season.
ok, y’all, I just can’t get enough of these amazing squeegee painting TikTok videos! So mesmerizing and satisfying to watch! With Halloween just around the corner, I had to give it a try and I gotta say, it’s seriously so easy to make!
It’s like, super duper simple and tons of fun, making it the perfect painting craft for kids and adults alike!
This entire ghost craft project took less than 20 minutes to make!
What is squeegee painting?
The squeegee art method is such a cool technique! It lets you easily blend colors and create some seriously awesome effects. It’s a fun and easy painting technique that uses a squeegee tool or any kind of scraper to create awesome abstract designs.
Here, you’ll find all the supplies and steps needed to make your own squeegee ghost painting this Halloween.
Materials needed for this project:
Before embarking on your ghost painting craft adventure, make sure you have the following materials at hand. You can shop my Amazon storefront for all supplies needed for this project.
- Black canvas or sturdy black paper
- White acrylic paint
- Squeegee or a scraper tool like an old credit card
- Squeeze bottle (optional)
- Paint markers
- Paper towels
What kind of paint do you use for squeegee painting?
I like to use acrylic craft paint because it dries fast and blends well too. For this ghost painting project, I’m using white acrylic craft paint in a squeeze bottle with a small narrow tip. It’s super handy for controlling the amount of paint I put on the canvas without any messy drips.
If you don’t have a squeegee or an old credit card on hand, there are still plenty of tools you can use to create fantastic squeegee paintings. Household items, like a plastic spatula, stiff cardboard (use painter’s tape along the edge so the cardboard doesn’t get soggy), or a cut-off piece of a plastic bottle, can work wonders.
For smaller projects, even an old hotel key card or a sturdy piece of plastic packaging would do the trick. Remember, the key is to have an object that can smoothly scrape the paint across the canvas and create the desired abstract effects.
Easy Ghost Painting Step-by-Step Instructions
- Prepare your painting surface by placing paper towels at the bottom half of your canvas. You can buy a canvas already black or just paint your canvas black and it let fully dry before painting your ghosts.
- Take your white paint bottle and make a top half circle on the canvas where you want the top of the ghost’s head to be.
3. With one hand holding the canvas in place, put your clean squeegee tool above the paint and drag it down in a wavy pattern with medium firm pressure, all the way to the bottom edge of the canvas.
4. Clean your squeegee with a damp towel before making more ghosts.
5. Repeat step 2 & 3.
6. Once the ghosts are dry, use a black paint marker and make the eyes and mouth. I like to make the eyes bigger than the mouth to give it a cool spooky vibe.
7. This last step is up to you on have you want to design the background. I made mine super easy by making lots of dots in different sizes and bright colors.
Ghost Squeegee Painting Video tutorial
What kind of spooky scene or story really gets your imagination going? Is it the eerie ghost wandering through a creepy old mansion, or maybe a mischievous cute ghosts playing hide-and-seek in a moonlit forest? Let your creative spirit take the lead as you bring your favorite spooky vision to life with this awesome Halloween ghosts painting craft!
I hope you enjoyed this simple Halloween craft, ghost squeegee art. This has been one of my favorite ghost crafts to make. It’s such a fun and spooky project that’s perfect for kids of all ages. If you’re eager for more DIY and easy crafts ideas, see our other fun crafts below!